Saturday, August 27, 2016

Review: Watching Edie

Watching Edie Watching Edie by Camilla Way
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Hmmm....I'm not real sure where to begin with this book! So many things I liked and then an ending that made me feel let down. I have not ever read one of Camilla's books before, so she is a new author to me. I was definitely pulled right into the story from the very beginning! Despite it being first person, I actually enjoyed it. Maybe I'm starting to outgrow my dislike of first person books! Hehe! Anyway, I really enjoyed how all the "After" parts were from Edie's point of view and all the "Before" parts were from Heather's point of view. I was constantly wanting to keep reading Heather's when it would switch back to Edie and I'd find myself thinking, "awwww man, let Heather finish!" Ha!

I really enjoyed the depth of character written for Edie and Heather. Edie had a hard time forgiving herself from a past she knew was wrong. Then, she had to deal with severe postpartum depression after having her baby. I couldn't imagine having to deal with that much depression! Wow! And Heather, what a messed up family she had as well. She just never felt like enough, from family or her friends. How awful some people can be, even to their own children! So sad!

What I didn't enjoy about this story was the ending. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a happily ever after! I just felt like it could have been a bit different. I don't want to give anything away, but I just feel that although Edie did wrong as a teenager and she knew it, that in the end and how she chose to "fix" it, just didn't seem fair either. I'm not really sure how that makes things right or even if anything could? The ending just left me feeling a bit down. :(

I would definitely recommend this book though, despite the ending, it really did have some great intense moments and kept me wanting to keep reading. To my Christian friends, this book has quite a bit of language, so if that offends you, you may want to pick another book.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Berkley Publishing Group in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...