Monday, November 2, 2015

An Amish Christmas Gift by Amy Clipston, Ruth Reid & Kelly Irvin

An Amish Christmas Gift: Three Amish NovellasAn Amish Christmas Gift: Three Amish Novellas by Amy Clipston
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 416 pages
Published October 6th 2015 by Thomas Nelson
ISBN 0718039653 (ISBN13: 9780718039653)

Naomi's Gift by Amy Clipston - How do you sum up a short and sweet Christmas miracle story? Let me try, Caleb has been a widower for two years. His sweet little ball of energy, his daughter Susie, is immediately in love with the town where Caleb grew up. Susie enjoys playing with all of her cousins and she really wants to learn how to bake and quilt. When she meets Naomi at the farmer's market, she is taken in by Naomi's sweet personality and easy to talk to spirit. The two of them have many things in common. Once Caleb finally gets a chance to talk to and get to know Naomi, he is definitely intrigued. And what God has in store for these three is surely a Christmas miracle.

"Don't judge your future by your past." I really enjoyed the easy flow of the story. I really enjoyed Susie's excitement over Naomi and her discernment towards Irene. When Caleb stood his ground to Irene, I could have jumped up and down while cheering. Thank God Caleb could sense that something wasn't quite right. For me, I would have liked to see a little more romancing between Caleb and Naomi, but that's just the hopeless romantic in me.

I really enjoyed this sweet story, just in time for the holidays. I'm sure any Amish fiction fan would find this an enjoyable read.

An Unexpected Joy by Ruth Reid - Abigail has a gift of gab. Unfortunately, this gift has left her with no husband. Feeling as though she will never marry, she begins to save her money to purchase a horse. She hopes the horse will make it easier for her to travel to town and sell her pies. But, when she can no longer sell her pies, she begins looking after her neighbor Micah's elderly grandmother. What Micah didn't realize is that Abigail truly doesn't stop talking...ever!

I enjoyed this story so much! I really felt it was something quite different than the typical Amish story. Most stories have the girls as quiet or just not very talkative. I found it hilarious how much Abby talked! And when Micah began calling her Gabby Abby, I just couldn't help laughing! Such a fun back and forth between all the characters! They got frustrated with each other and sometimes downright mad at each other, but there was just something between them that always made me smile! Perhaps it's because I'm seriously a hopeless romantic and I love the back and forth banter of every day relationships.

A Christmas Visitor by Kelly Irvin - Frannie is sent to live with her aunt and uncle in Bee County because her parents understand that nothing good can come of having feelings for an "Englisch" man. Frannie's aunt and uncle begin inviting a local boy, Joseph, over for meals in the hopes that he and Frannie will start courting. But when the "Englisch" man, Rocky, shows up in Bee County before the holidays, will it be Frannie's dream come true or a complete heartbreak.

Another sweet Christmas novella to finish out the book. I have to say, this one was very predictable, but that didn't bother me. I enjoyed the journey to the end and watching Rocky and Frannie learn the ever present gift of patience. Not all things happen in our time, or exactly the way we want it to, but it is all in His timing, for His glory! I really liked the way this story focused on how we want things to be a certain way, but in the end, we know the best answer is, "Thy will be done."

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Thomas Nelson in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...