Friday, October 9, 2015

Murder at the Courthouse by A.H. Gabhart

Murder at the Courthouse Murder at the Courthouse by A.H. Gabhart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 336 pages
Published October 2015 by Revell
ISBN 0800726766 (ISBN13: 9780800726768)
Series: The Hidden Springs Mysteries #1

The Hidden Springs town busy body begins her day the exact same way, every day, except for this day. On this day, her day begins with discovering a murder victim on the front steps of the courthouse. When the victim is discovered to be an out of towner, the residents of Hidden Springs aren't worried about there being another murder because things like that just don't happen in their town. Michael, who is the deputy sheriff, is determined to figure out the details of the murder. When his boss takes ill and orders a lake to be searched for a murder weapon, Michael goes along with it just to keep his boss off his back. But, when the search turns up a car, the town is once again set on edge. What is happening to the small peaceful town of Hidden Springs?

My first book by Ann H. Gabhart and I have to say I really enjoyed it! While the beginning pacing was a bit slow for me, once I hit the halfway mark, the story picked up and I found myself not wanting to put it down. I was captivated with the "who dunnit" aspect. Amazingly enough, I guessed who it was! I NEVER do that, but I tried to pay super close attention to the details and nailed it!

I was also intrigued with Michael's story. He lost both of his parents in an automobile accident and nearly lost his own life. His aunt prayed for him daily and wouldn't give up on him. I really enjoyed Michael's character, it was very fitting of a small town, everybody knows everybody, deputy sheriff. His heart was for the people of his town. He even had a soft spot for the trouble maker in town, Anthony. Anthony's story was so well written, I even found myself routing for him too!

There was a slight bit of romance mixed here and there throughout the story, but it was really nice to not have it be in the foreground the whole time. This story is definitely more cozy suspense and who dunnit than a romance.

I really enjoyed this story and look forward to reading the next ones in this series!

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Revell in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...