Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Good, the Bad, and the Grace of God by Jep & Jessica Robertson

The Good, the Bad, and the Grace of God: What Honesty and Pain Taught Us about Faith, Family, and ForgivenessThe Good, the Bad, and the Grace of God: What Honesty and Pain Taught Us about Faith, Family, and Forgiveness by Jep Robertson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 240 pages
Expected publication: June 23rd 2015 by Thomas Nelson
ISBN 0718031482 (ISBN13: 9780718031480)

I will start out by saying my family and I used to LOVE to watch Duck Dynasty! Somehow though, the shows began to appear a bit staged and not as real, and we haven't kept up with the new shows this past year. I still like them and love their sense of family! I especially love their openness and willingness to share their love of God in a country that seemingly no longer believes a Christian has any right to speak their religious views.

As I sit here in my Duck Commander shirt, I have to say, I absolutely loved this story and couldn't seem to put it down. My attention was immediately captured by the realness of their lives. Their backgrounds, their childhood, and their trials. Wow, how very similar to many people across the nation.

Something I've tried to tell myself, and try to teach my kids, is that you can't compare your life to a snapshot of someone else's life. We tend to get so down in the dumps thinking our lives stink and we don't have this or don't have that because we've compared our lives to a picture of an actor/actress or neighbor down the street or fellow church member taking a vacation on a beautiful, remote island in the Caribbean! It's not how it is! Life is hard, everyone is different! For me, Jep and Jessica's story exemplified that point to a T! When we see them on TV, after hours of shooting, hours of editing, of course their lives look perfect and they may come across as Bible thumping goody two shoes! BUT, when you read their stories, you realize, they're just like you and me!

"You are imperfect, permanently and inevitably flawed. And you are beautiful. - Amy Bloom" I absolutely LOVED this quote from the book! How true! We are all flawed, but with the grace of God, we are forgiven, and BEAUTIFUL!

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Thomas Nelson in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...