Friday, May 22, 2015

Proof of Angels by Mary Curran Hackett

Proof of AngelsProof of Angels by Mary Curran Hackett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 320 pages
Published November 4th 2014 by William Morrow Paperbacks
ISBN 0062279955 (ISBN13: 9780062279958)

Sean has been through a lot in his life. As he's standing inside a burning building, not able to find his way out, he promises that if he does get out he will make it right with Chiara, a girl who he left brokenhearted in Italy.

Mary Curran Hackett is a new author to me and I did not know her writing style or even her genre. I was sent a copy by Harper Collins and intrigued by the description. I have to say, I completely enjoyed this story. What a powerful message of not quitting and hope.

Before I go any further thought, let me say to my Christian Fiction Devourer friends, this book has profanity! The profanity is the only reason I did not give this book five stars. I almost gave up, but I wanted to see Sean's recovery so I kept reading. While I could see the profanity in some places, I honestly feel it would have been more powerful without it. If you can get past the profanity, then by all means, please read this book! It's a beautiful story.

Sean basically shut himself off from the world, except for his buddy James. I was intrigued by how he would recover when he didn't even have a support system around him. I mean, no one even came to check on his apartment after 6 weeks of being in the hospital! How sad!

I was in awe of how Sean pushed through his recovery. He had a lot of support from friends, friends that he met through his recovery process. What made them for "real," was they didn't believe what Sean was saying about angels. They questioned him and doubted him. To me, that's what makes a true friendship, when you can question and still love each other.

I adored Tom's character. That "suck it up" and "move on" type attitude! How fitting of a physical therapist. Especially for Sean who could have easily had a pity party for himself and never reached his goal of making things right with Chiara.

Proof of Angels is the second book I've read recently with a service dog in it. I am just completely enamored with how these dogs are used in such awesome ways. I never realized what all they could do! God bless all those trainers and the dogs themselves!

I also found two little nuggets of inspiration. "It's not just a random stream of coincidences. Life's not just a bunch of disconnected events and people." That statement basically sums up everything that Sean was struggling with throughout this book along with his physical injuries he was recovering from. The other one is "Nothing to one person can mean the world to another." How true is that?

I did not read the first one, Proof of Heaven, and I don't feel like that took away from this story at all. Again, if you can get past the profanity, it's a beautiful story! I highly recommend it.

I was graciously provided a free copy of this book from Harper Collins to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...