Monday, May 18, 2015

Murder Freshly Baked by Vannetta Chapman

Murder Freshly BakedMurder Freshly Baked by Vannetta Chapman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Paperback, 352 pages
Expected publication: June 9th 2015 by Zondervan
ISBN 0310322170 (ISBN13: 9780310322177)
Series: Amish Village Mystery #3

Amber receives cryptic, bad poetry emails and then pies begin showing up in the bakery with notes saying they are poisonous. After that, the Amish Village is once again the center of a murder. This time however, the murder is the end result and the story actually goes backward and reviews all the events leading up to the murder.

I have loved this series and absolutely adored the PTSD service dog, Mocha, that was brought into this story. I had never heard of a dog being able to help our veterans that way and was enamored with that whole story line centered around Preston.

I loved the twist of going backwards and going through all the events leading up to the murder. On the other hand, I was really disappointed with this story and that it was flip-flopped like that. I was really intrigued with the beginning and it immediately caught my attention, but then I found myself struggling to read through. Perhaps Ryan dating three women is what turned me off or just the fact that a lot of the story revolved around that and it wasn't really a lot to the dating fiasco.

I felt the story lacked in keeping a nice pace. There was a lot of details and filling in of minor information, but not enough to grip me and make me want to keep flipping the pages. I visioned this story being ratcheted up by making the pies poisonous and perhaps someone eating a piece of the pie but being rushed off to the hospital instead of dying. There was just something missing.

I did find a line in the book that immediately caught my attention. "If you think you've seen it all, put on your sunglasses, because you're about to be surprised." I'm not sure why that jumped out at me, but I just love the unique way that was put. You never can truly know everything or have seen everything, because just when you think you have, well, never fails, there's always something else just as equally astounding.

While this was not my favorite one in the series, it was a good read. If you've read the others, then don't miss this chance to catch up with your beloved Amish Village characters.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Zondervan in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...