Friday, May 1, 2015

Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson

EdenbrookeEdenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 264 pages
Published March 27th 2012 by Shadow Mountain
ISBN 1609089464 (ISBN13: 9781609089467)
Series: A Proper Romance

Marianne is deemed unladylike by her grandmother. In the hopes of helping her find a husband one day, her grandmother sends Marianne away to learn how to be a lady. Once at her destination, Marianne meets a man who is anything but a gentleman, in her eyes, and is an outrageous flirt. How will she ever learn to be a lady around a man who brings out the worst in her?

I was challenged to read this for my book group's Hidden Gem challenge. When I first saw this was the one picked for me, my immediate thought was, uh-oh. A historical fiction? I kept an open mind though because the description sounded interesting. When I first began reading, I immediately thought, Great, first person! If you've read any of my other reviews, I typically can't stand first person, although I've gotten better about giving them a chance.

WOW! I am so glad I did with this one! I found myself quickly caught up in this story. The banter between Marianne and Philip was hysterical! When they first met he teased her about stomping her foot and then a little while later he asked her "Did you just stomp your foot?" Haha! Too funny! The way Philip could just look at Marianne and get her laughing was just awesome! And then she'd tell him, "You're atrocious." Ha! I absolutely loved the humor and banter throughout this entire book! I'm very much a humor girl though! Life's too short to be so serious all the time!

And then Philip's sweetness, oh goodness. I loved how he intently listened to her one minute, then would have her laughing the next. He truly was a gentleman. And the line that sealed the deal for me was when Marianne asked him why he did something for her and his response was, "Because you wanted him." Sigh. How romantic is that?

I am so glad this was picked as a Hidden Gem for me and I can't wait to read more from this author! I highly recommend this book to all my fellow humor friends out there!

I borrowed this book from my awesome library!

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...