Saturday, April 11, 2015

Taken by Dee Henderson

TakenTaken by Dee Henderson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 432 pages
Expected publication: April 28th 2015 by Bethany House Publishers
ISBN 076421408X (ISBN13: 9780764214080)

After being abducted at the age of sixteen, Shannon returns to find Matthew, a private detective, to help her adjust back to life. Having been gone for the past 11 years, Shannon has a wide range of emotional, mental, and physical "baggage" to carry around. Determined to help Shannon get back to the life she longs for, Matthew helps her set a plan of action into normalcy.

I have never read a book quite like this. But first, what was funny about the timing of reading this book, was that I had just read Full Disclosure and the story of Paul and Ann, thanks to a Hidden Gems challenge match-up in my book group. Having read that, then reading this one, even though it's not a series, it was really neat to know a few of the characters and know why Matthew trusted them so much.

This story had so much depth to the characters, especially Shannon, that I just found it completely intriguing! A lot of great information about an abducted individual trying to return to a normal life. Great inspiration and insight into why God allows bad things to happen. "I can tell the difference between the acts of a man and the acts of God. That's why I still believe." Great insight into God himself. "But God decided to create a world where free will was more important than no one ever getting hurt. There must be something stunningly beautiful and remarkable about free will than only God can truly grasp..." I was so inspired by Shannon's revelations and insight of God, that it literally brought tears to my eyes! Someone who's been through an abduction, to still have such faith and love for God.

The other aspect I found interesting, more about myself, was the age difference between Shannon and Matthew. When the story began, Shannon sought him out because of the abduction he went through when his daughter was taken. His daughter is just a little bit younger than Shannon. So, at the beginning I wasn't even thinking about a possible relationship because of the age difference between Matthew and Shannon. However, by the end of the story, and despite the age difference, I couldn't imagine a better couple. And I love the way the story ended in regards to allowing the reader to use a bit of their own imagination.

This story didn't immediately grab my attention and their were a few dragging parts, thus why only four stars, however, by the last few chapters I kept looking to see how much was left and thinking, "NO, it can't end yet, I've got to know more!" Truly a touching story, and definitely new and different.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Bethany House in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...