Monday, April 27, 2015

As Waters Gone By by Cynthia Ruchti

As Waters Gone byAs Waters Gone by by Cynthia Ruchti
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 304 pages
Expected publication: May 5th 2015 by Abingdon Press
ISBN 1426787278 (ISBN13: 9781426787270)

Emmalyn's life has not turned out the way she planned. What went from a happy marriage with a bright future, quickly went to a lonely, secluded future because of one bad decision. Her husband Max is serving a five year prison sentence and she's unable to keep their house any longer. Wanting to seclude herself and heal, she heads to the cottage her and her husband purchased when they first met. At the cottage, she finds healing and more importantly, Hope.

Cynthia is a new author to me so I was a little unsure when getting started. I have to say I really enjoyed the story, but it was a bit "gloomy" for lack of a better word. Much of it seemed so full of sorrow and sadness, it was really heavy at times. However, on the other hand, it was also full of hope and healing.

I loved Bougie's character. "Grace always outweighs gravity." Her knack of always knowing what one needed, her heart for healing others without it being right in their face, and her unending generosity. "Sometimes caring feels like spoiling. Gratitude evens things out." Oh, I loved that line! She really was a great model for how all Christians should try to live.

I also thought it was really neat how Cora showed Emmalyn how everyone, including herself, gets upset sometimes, despite knowing she really shouldn't. We're human and sometimes get selfish. Doesn't mean we're bad people, simply means we need to guard ourselves so that we don't hurt others by expressing our thoughts out loud to anyone willing to listen. "The Semper Fi wife of a military man on deployment to one of the most dangerous places on earth would dare get angry with a guy giving his life for his country?" Wow, what a statement. However, just because Cora is a military wife doesn't mean she doesn't have her own frustrations. My heart was touched by this interaction between Cora and Emmalyn!

The name that Emmalyn decided for the cottage, just perfect! I love it! The name ties the title and the story together just beautifully! Despite it being pretty deep in some places, I was inspired by the tokens of grace throughout. "Whatever voice you're listening to, it better be the one saying, 'I've got this. Trust Me.' If it's telling you you've failed..., it's lying." How can that not just be the most uplifting thing to read?

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Abingdon Press in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...