Monday, April 20, 2015

A Road Unknown by Barbara Cameron

A Road Unknown (Amish Roads, #1)A Road Unknown by Barbara Cameron
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 304 pages
Published February 4th 2014 by Abingdon Press
ISBN 142674059X (ISBN13: 9781426740596)
Series: Amish Roads #1
Setting: Paradise, Pennsylvania (United States)

Elizabeth is at a point where she doesn't know how much more she can take. Being the oldest of nine children, she is constantly expected to help with her younger siblings and around the house. When she enters her rumschpringe, she decides to leave her family and try to get some peace and quiet and figure out her future.

This story caught my attention as it was a subject not talked in previous Amish fiction stories. I often wondered, with so many siblings, how does one stand always having to look out for the younger ones and never really having time to oneself or time to do things that make oneself happy? In this case, I honestly feel it was the way the parents handled the entire situation, and the grandmother's influence was definitely not helpful. I understand the need for siblings to help out, but I also think they need a chance to be a kid themselves and not have all the responsibilities of an adult. There's a difference between asking for help and demanding help.

And then at some points of the story I realized that Elizabeth was very much a young adult. There were lots of instances where I thought, hmmm, that sounds more like being a big baby! For example, her getting upset with Saul when Miriam returned to work, and then immediately going out and seeing if she could start another job sooner, without clarifying the situation.

In the end, Elizabeth took a huge step on the road of maturity and instead of running from her family, she addressed the situation and handled it like an adult. I still believe her family is partially to blame for Elizabeth running away, at least she clarified the problem and continue with her life in God's peace.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Abingdon Press in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...