Sunday, March 1, 2015

Swan Point by Sherryl Woods

Swan PointSwan Point by Sherryl Woods
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 368 pages
Published July 29th 2014 by Harlequin MIRA
ISBN 0778316424 (ISBN13: 9780778316428)
Series: The Sweet Magnolias #11

After leaving a marriage from an unfaithful husband, Adelia is making a new beginning for her and her four children. Although, Adelia is not looking for any sort of relationship, but when Gabe returns to Swan Point, she can't seem to shake the feeling that she wants something more than just friendship with him.

I love Sherryl Woods' O'Brien family in her Chesapeake Shores series and when I saw the setting for Sweet Magnolias was in Serenity, South Carolina, well, I just had to give it a try! I have not read any of the others in the series, but Sherryl has such a great way of writing them that it doesn't matter and I easily followed along! If I ever get my reviews caught up, I would love to go back to the beginning and read the entire series.

"Human beings are flawed, but that doesn't mean you should never take a risk. The important thing is that is be an informed risk, one you only take with careful thought." This was a statement that Adelia made to her teenage daughter, Selena, and it just really hit home with me. My heart just went out to Selena having to try to understand why her dad acted the way he did and then trying to understand how her mom could move on with another man after the way she was treated. I completely enjoyed these touching moments between Adelia and her daughter.

From the first moment Gabe entered Adelia's kids' lives, I was just in awe of his attitude towards them. You know how some people are just so natural at some things? Well, Gabe was definitely a natural at knowing just the right thing to say to make the kids feel loved and respected, but he was also great at setting boundaries. I just loved his interactions with the kids!

Sherryl has such a great way of making the stories seem so real. And this one had more realism than any of her other books I've read. My heart broke for Adelia's sister, Carolina, who was facing the same type marriage Adelia had been in, but with domestic abuse mixed in. I found myself with tears running down my cheeks several times at some of the heartbreaking moments Adelia tried to help her sister.

Oh, well, I could go on and on, but I really enjoyed this book. I can't wait to meet up with the Sweet Magnolias again and watch them all rally around each other in Serenity!

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Harlequin MIRA in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Carole Jarvis said...

I've always loved women's fiction, Jodi, but it's been a good while since I've read anything by Sherryl Woods. You're making me want to pick one up again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...