Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Buried Secrets by Irene Hannon

Buried SecretsBuried Secrets by Irene Hannon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 384 pages
Expected publication: April 7th 2015 by Fleming H. Revell Company
ISBN 0800721268 (ISBN13: 9780800721268)

When old buried secrets are discovered, Chief Lisa Grant and Detective Mac McGregor's paths cross. Each of them looking for new beginnings, the instant chemistry between them is undeniable. As the case unfolds, and more bodies turn up dead, Lisa and Mac are determined to get to the bottom of it so they can explore their romantic possibilities.

I'm not quite sure where to start with this one. When I began the story, I was hoping for a hook, line, and sinker type suspense. The prologue was intriguing, but not enough to put me on the edge of my seat. And then, the story kind of swirled into more of a romance than a suspense. While I like romance mixed in, it almost felt like the whole first half of the book was a romance.

Once the second half began, and they began questioning old friends of the victim, then it started to pick up a bit. Especially when more bodies were found and determined to be "accidental" deaths. The one reason I gave this book 4 instead of three stars, was because the second half did pick up, and I've never read a suspense book quite like this one before. It was really interesting to know what was going on, but having to watch Lisa and Mac discover it and try to figure out what happened.

I love when the romance just naturally spills through the suspense aspect of the story line and is a sweet addition to the suspense instead of the main focus as it was in this one. I hope the next one in the series covers one of Mac's brothers, but hope that the focus isn't so heavily placed on the romance side of the story.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Revell in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Irene Hannon said...

Thanks for taking the time to read and review this. Lance's story is up next, coming in January. Hope you like that one better!

Ally R. said...

I love Irene Hannon! I didn't know she had a new release that soon.

It's unfortunate that the romance took over so much of story. It don't like it when that happens, either. But I'm glad it picked up for you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...