Monday, February 16, 2015

Where Secrets Sleep by Marta Perry

Where Secrets SleepWhere Secrets Sleep by Marta Perry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 384 pages
Expected publication: February 24th 2015 by HQN Books
ISBN 0373779607 (ISBN13: 9780373779604)

Allison finds herself the heir of her deceased grandmother's home. Not sure if she is ready to uproot her life from the big city, Allison decides to at least stay and check out the possibilities for her grandmother's home. After discovering that she has to run the house at a profit for a year before she can sell it, strange things begin to happen in the quiet little town. Others in the community are jealous and want the house, and will go to any length to see that Allison goes back to her big city life.

I am typically a huge suspense/mystery fan, however, for me, this one was just missing something. After thinking about it for a while, the only conclusion I came to was that the person who ended up being "guilty" was a character we didn't really hear much from throughout the story. While the suspense was there and wondering what would happen next, I just didn't feel there was enough attention drawn to all the possible suspects.

I did admire Allison's determination to figure out all the aspects of her grandmother's will and the businesses in the house before she made a decision. I respected her decision to not be easily scared away especially when she had never met her grandmother, and that would have been the easy way out. Instead, she honored her grandmother's wishes, honored the value of family, and stayed despite the weirdness going on around her.

Overall, this was a good read, just seemed to be lacking a little something to help add to the suspense. If you like a cozy suspense/mystery then I would definitely recommend this book.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Harlequin in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...