Monday, February 16, 2015

The Decision by Wanda E. Brunstetter

The DecisionThe Decision by Wanda E. Brunstetter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 320 pages
Expected publication: March 1st 2015 by Shiloh Run Press
ISBN 1616260882 (ISBN13: 9781616260880)
Series: Prairie State Friends #1

Elaine has faced a lot of loss in her life. With the recent passing of her grandfather, Elaine is determined to keep her promise to him and care for her grandmother. Only now her grandmother is not doing well and is having severe medical problems. Elaine decides to put her life on hold and the man she loves in order to care for her ailing grandmother.

I was intrigued with this story as it was centered around an issue that is not common among Amish reads. I enjoyed the uniqueness of the story and of course hearing another facet of Amish life. I thought it was quite interesting to read about the tourist dinners that Elaine and her grandmother held in their homes in order to help supplement their income.

Overall, I was a little disappointed though with the storyline. It just felt a little too shallow and not quite enough depth to the characters. I would have like to see a little more of Elaine's exhaustion, her grandmother's frustration, and Jonah's disappointment.

Honestly, the part I was most disappointed with was Elaine's decision and the ending, however, that is not a negative for the book, that just shows Wanda's ability to write a story that gets you so caught up in the characters that when they don't do what you think, it upsets you. And indeed it did. I was definitely upset by all of the characters decisions. Most certainly, the title to the book was very fitting.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Shiloh Run Press in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...