Friday, January 2, 2015

Home by Dark by Marta Perry

Home by DarkHome by Dark by Marta Perry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 384 pages
Published December 18th 2012 by Harlequin HQN
ISBN 0373777353 (ISBN13: 9780373777358)
Series: Watcher in the Dark #1

When Rachel learns her late mother-n-law left to her the Mason House in her will, Rachel moves back to Deer Creek with her 9 year old daughter Mandy. Rachel is familiar with the community as it is where she grew up, until she decided to leave the Amish life. Now, needing to provide for her daughter, she is determined to make the Mason House a successful bed and breakfast.

Wow, Marta has such a way of drawing you into the suspense in the story. It doesn't immediately begin with a scare or edge of the seat type feel, but as you keep reading and the intensity grows, you eventually find yourself on the edge of the seat, eager to learn what happens next. And what I really enjoyed about this book, is that is wasn't glaringly obvious what was going on or that there was a possible romance blooming. They just all kind of melded together and made for a great cozy mystery.

The only thing that I didn't totally enjoy with this story, and it is a very minor issue, was that there were a lot of unfamiliar words used. I am animate about understanding the character's true feelings, so I had to look several of the words up in the dictionary to understand. I don't have a problem not knowing all the words in a book, that's part of expanding your vocabulary and I love that. But, some of them seemed to be used, just to be used and for me it took a little bit away from the story.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Harlequin in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...