Saturday, January 24, 2015

Evergreen by Susan May Warren

Evergreen: A Christiansen Winter Novella (Christiansen Family)Evergreen: A Christiansen Winter Novella by Susan May Warren
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Hardcover, 208 pages
Published September 1st 2014 by Tyndale House Publishers
ISBN 1414394012 (ISBN13: 9781414394015)
Series: Christiansen Family #3.5

John has planned a special Christmas surprise for his wife, Ingrid. Their children are all grown and have flown the proverbial nest. John plans to take his wife to Prague to visit their daughter who is studying abroad. Since he's trying to keep it a surprise, it's hard to get Ingrid to understand why he doesn't want her to sign up for the volunteer position at church. He also finds it hard to explain why he doesn't want to spend so much money on a non-guaranteed surgery for their dog Butter. And to top it all off, Ingrid is asked to take care of her nephew, out of the blue. John doesn't stand a chance and the combination of these events may be the undoing of their marriage.

I was completely skeptical when I began this novella. I was worried I wouldn't like it because I haven't read any of Susan's other books regarding the Christiansen family. I was worried there'd be references to all these characters and I would be confused as to who they were and how they related to John and Ingrid. Shamefully I was also worried because the title didn't give much of a hint to the content of the story or what it would be about. I shouldn't have been worried. I didn't need to know any of them. I was drawn into this story with all the little twists along the way. And by the time I was done, the title made absolute perfect sense.

I thought it was a very unique story line. Ever since I've been a little kid, I've often wondered why people seemingly got divorced when their kids were all grown. I remember thinking, the kids are gone, now you have time to enjoy each other without interruptions, why in the world would you get divorced now? Now, I have children of my own and realize that unless you devote time and date nights with just your husband, you do lose sight of each other. Couples get so caught up running this kid here, that kid there, groceries, laundry, errands, work, and sometimes it's at situation where as one spouse comes in the door, the other one heads out. Then, when your kids leave the home, you both look at each other with a look of "Hello, You're still here?" Exactly what John and Ingrid needed to deal with.

I got so aggravated with Ingrid, I wanted to yell "He's your husband, give him a break, geesh!" A fine example of Susan's talented writing. Ingrid seemed to blame everything on John and came across as she had no faults. Ha! She needed to lighten up! And then there were times I wanted to reach into the story, knock on John's head, and say, "What were you thinking?"

I absolutely adored this sweet little novella and I would highly recommend it as a sweet little Christmas read! Or, like I did, a sweet anytime read!

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Tyndale House in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...