Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Mother's Secret by Amy Clipston

A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)A Mother's Secret by Amy Clipston
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Paperback, 300 pages
Published June 3rd 2014 by Zondervan
ISBN 0310335817 (ISBN13: 9780310335818)
Series: Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2

Carolyn has been judged her entire adult life, for one mistake she made as a teenager. Her brother is always quick to remind her of it. When Carolyn's son Benjamin is accused of hurting one of Joshua's horses, her world is changed forever.

Oh my goodness, this story had me hooked and the only thing I can think of that had me so hooked was the incredible truth to Carolyn's story and the very judgmental Christians that are in this world. Carolyn made a mistake as a teenage and has been paying the price ever since. Some of it is her own guilt and some of it is just feeling that others look at her in shame. One night her mother is trying to help her understand that God has already forgiven her. Her mother even tells her "You're forgiven, Carolyn. Now you need to forgive yourself." I just found this whole story line so refreshing. We all make mistakes, but as Carolyn's mother told her, "You can't let one mistake color your whole world." As Christians, our job isn't to judge others from their mistakes, but rather to accept, forgive, and love.

I enjoyed being able to catch up with the characters from the first one in the series, Hannah and her family. I was once again flabbergasted at Joshua's mother, Barbie, for her VERY un-Christian like manners. Wow, several times I wanted to reach through the pages and ask her what her problem was. Ha!

The story between Joshua and Carolyn was just beautiful. Joshua was so hung up on Hannah, he thought for sure he would always be alone. Carolyn was so sure everyone would always be looking at her and judging her, that she wasn't sure if she'd ever be able to find a man that truly loved her, despite her past mistake. Until one rock thrown at a horse causes their paths to intersect and they begin to see each other as the perfect compliment to each other. I really had a hard time putting down this sweet story, I absolutely loved this one and can't wait to read the next one in the series.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Zondervan in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Carole Jarvis said...

Jodi, this was the first of Amy Clipston's books that I read and I really enjoyed it. Instant fan of her writing!

You're not going to believe this, but for some reason, I liked Barbie. Well, maybe "liked" isn't exactly the right word. But I felt for her because of all the grief she had been through and hope she changes for the better in the next book.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...