Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Letters by Suzanne Woods Fisher

The Letters (Inn at Eagle Hill #1)The Letters by Suzanne Woods Fisher
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 316 pages
Published August 1st 2013 by Fleming H. Revell Company
ISBN 0800720938 (ISBN13: 9780800720933)
Series: Inn at Eagle Hill #1

Rose is determined to find a way to support her family and pay off her husband's debts. When a bed and breakfast idea come to her mind, Rose knows this is the answer. She enlists the help of her neighbor, Gavin, and they begin converting the basement into a peaceful getaway for visitors. Delia is one of the first visitors to stay at the bed and breakfast and she finds more than just a place to sleep and eat.

I just don't even know how to describe this one. I really loved that Rose's life wasn't the "perfect" Amish life that many of the Amish stories have. She had a husband who did wrong, a son that she didn't know where he was at, stepchildren, and a mother-n-law that was extremely difficult and hard to take care of. However, Rose always handled her mother-n-law with grace, she handled life with grace, even when many would have thrown their hands up and said it was just too much.

I also enjoyed Bethany's character. She was a young woman waiting for a man to return to her when she meets another man who catches her eye and makes her feel things she hasn't felt before. At first I didn't care for her character, but to see her attitude shift and the maturity develop in her made me change my mind.

I loved the bed and breakfast and what it did for Delia. My heart just broke for what she experienced in one day, more than anyone should experience in a lifetime. Delia came to escape from the madness of her life and found a whole new world, she found a new Delia.

While I loved the story, there's also something about the story that just didn't keep me totally interested. I can't even put my finger on what it was, it was just something missing. I liked most of the characters. At some points, I found myself more interested in the subplots. Maybe it was too many characters, and not really being able to decide which one was the main story? Is that a reason to not totally love a story? I don't know, but I will say I enjoyed the story and would definitely recommend it.

This is one I borrowed from the library! Go me!

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...