Friday, January 24, 2014

A Promise Kept by Robin Lee Hatcher

A Promise KeptA Promise Kept by Robin Lee Hatcher
My rating: 4 of 5 stars (Really should be 4.5)

Paperback, 304 pages
Published January 7th 2014 by Thomas Nelson
ISBN 1401687652 (ISBN13: 9781401687656)

Allison Kavanagh has just moved into her Great Aunt’s mountain cabin and is trying to put her life back together. Allison and her husband have divorced and her daughter has moved far away. She is hoping to figure out why God didn’t keep His promise to her and save her marriage to Tony, her love at first sight. When she discovers a wedding dress in her Great Aunt Emma’s attic along with bunches of journals, she is intrigued as her Great Aunt Emma was never married, or as far as she knows she wasn’t. Discovering Emma’s story through her journal writings, Allison learns just as much about herself as she does Great Aunt Emma.

I must say, I have never been so intrigued by a story that is not mystery. As I read, I just had to know what happened with Emma. At one point when it had switched back to Allison, I thought, come on already, keep going with Emma’s story! I almost skipped ahead to the next Emma section! However, I refrained myself. The switching stories at first was a little too quick for me, however, once I really got hooked on the book, it didn’t bother me at all, it just made me anticipate the next section that much more!

I must also commend Robin on the ability to cover a big gap of time and keep it interesting. I have read other stories that cover a broad range of time and felt it left a lot of important information out, along with not following a timeline accurately. It ended up making that story very confusing. A Promise Kept covers over a year’s worth of time. Robin did a fantastic job of covering that much time and not leaving significant information out or making it confusing by having an inaccurate timeline.

I very much enjoyed watching Allison grow spiritually and figure out the answer to her question of why didn’t God keep His promise to me for my marriage. I loved the quote of “God hates divorce. He doesn’t hate the divorced.” Such a great way to show God’s heart! And while I enjoyed watching Allison’s journey, I also couldn’t get enough of Emma’s story. Such a sweet person, she truly deserved more than life handed her at first. My heart broke for her. God’s promises don’t always turn out the way we expect them too, but He does always keep his promises.

A Promise Kept is my first book by Robin Lee Hatcher, but it most certainly won’t be may last! I absolutely enjoyed this story and highly recommend it. I will say, I am not divorced, so that is not why I connected with the story. I connected with the story because it was written spectacularly and the characters felt real!

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Thomas Nelson in partnership with Litfuse to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...