Thursday, September 12, 2013

Trapped by Irene Hannon

Trapped (Private Justice, #2)Trapped by Irene Hannon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Paperback, 393 pages
Published September 1st 2013 by Fleming H. Revell Company
ISBN 0800721241 (ISBN13: 9780800721244)
Series: Private Justice #2

Laura's sixteen year old sister, Darcy, disappears during a cold, soon to be blizzard, and leaves only a short note behind. Laura vows to find her missing sister. She hires a private eye, James "Dev" Devlin, to help find Darcy. As they begin digging, Dev's gut tells him something is not right. They soon realize the closer they get, the more their lives are at risk.

Wow! I have never read any of Irene's books before this one, but I have found me a new favorite author! Wow! From the beginning, I was hooked! I got so irritated when "life" kept getting in the way. You know, laundry needing done, PTO duties calling, kids needing to be fed, why o why do they have to eat three times a day when I'm in the middle of such a good book?

What I really loved about the story was that it was not a WHAM, now you're hooked type of book. Rather, the book gradually drew you in, first with Darcy's disappearance, then the homeless shelter, then Laura hiring a PI, and on and on. The intensity just kept building and building and I was loving every minute of it!

I felt like all the characters were introduced slowly and in a way you could keep up with all of them. And wow, were there some great characters in the book! A lot of times, the characters are all introduced at one time and I have to keep looking back and trying to remember who was who and how they were connected, but not so with Irene's book. The story kept switching between settings, but because the characters were introduced slowly, it was no problem to keep up with all of them and remember who was who, even when "small part" characters were mentioned.

I also felt like Irene did a great job of mixing romance and a good Christian message into the book without it being in your face and over the top. Again, the romance was a slow process and was really exciting to watch the characters find common bonds with each other. And the Christian message of "He forgives us far more easily than we often forgive ourselves" was perfect. Laura, Darcy, and Dev all had reasons to beat themselves up over past mistakes, but we tend to remember those mistakes much clearer than God does. When we ask for forgiveness, God cleans the slate and we start fresh. The reminder not to beat yourself up over past mistakes was a great Christian message!

My other favorite line in the book was also a great reminder to not rush through those special holidays, including birthdays, for those special days only come once a year. "Most days in life are ordinary. When special ones roll around, celebrate and make happy memories to carry you through the dull days." Love that! What a great reminder!

I love a great suspense and have found myself a new favorite author! What a fantastic read! Great job Irene!
Can't wait to dive into more of your works!!

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Revell Books in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own. 

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...