Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Search the Dark by Marta Perry

Search the DarkSearch the Dark by Marta Perry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 352 pages
Expected publication: September 24th 2013 by Harlequin HQN
ISBN 0373777868 (ISBN13: 9780373777860)
Series: Watcher in the Dark

Zach moves back to Deer Run only to discover that the small town still cannot look at him as anything but trouble. Trying to clear up some property that was left to him, can he prove to Meredith that he's a different person? Meredith has been asked to help a friend finally figure out what happened to a local Amish boy who died 20 years ago. Was he murdered or did he commit suicide? As Meredith gets closer and closer to the truth, her life and her loved ones' lives may be in danger.

I really needed this good read! I absolutely loved how the suspense seemed to pick up more and more as the story unfolded. Meredith was quite the private "investigator." She was a little too nice to find any real answers though. One of my favorite "take aways" from the story was when Meredith was talking to her neighbor Rebecca. Meredith was trying to get more information from Rebecca as her property bordered the place where the Amish boy died. Rebecca answered her in an unusual way for an Amish woman, but what she said was so true. "It's right for us to bear one another's burdens. But we can't blame ourselves for the decisions other people make." For me, that was a profound statement.

The only thing I didn't like about the story was I had a hard time at the beginning trying to keep straight whether the character was Amish or not. I try to read a story understanding where the character's thoughts and actions may come from, their culture, their past, or just their personality. So, for me, it took away just a little bit from the story as I tried to remember if they were Amish or not.

Final opinion, a great suspense by Marta Perry! If you're interested in a good suspense, but don't necessarily like all the characters to be Amish, then this is one you should definitely check out!

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Harlequin in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...