Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Lowcountry Bombshell by Susan M. Boyer

Lowcountry Bombshell (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #2)Lowcountry Bombshell by Susan M. Boyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 266 pages
Expected publication: September 3rd 2013 by Henery Press
ISBN 1938383567 (ISBN13: 9781938383564)
Series: Liz Talbot Mystery #2
Setting: Stella Maris, South Carolina (Charleston area), 2012 (United States)

Private Investigator, Liz Talbot has a new case involving a woman who looks exactly like Marilyn Monroe. When the Marilyn Monroe look alike, Calista, feels her life will end on the same day the real Marilyn Monroe passed away, Liz is hired to figure out who is after her and to keep her alive. As Calista's past comes to light, things get stranger and stranger, and the threats to not only Calista's life, but also Liz, become more and more threatening.

My first book by Susan M. Boyer and I must say, I really liked it. She did a great job writing in first person. Normally, for me, first person takes a while to get into and I feel like I'm always missing something. However, I breezed through this book and by the end, I didn't even notice the first person writing. And I didn't feel like I missed anything at all.

The story takes place along the coast of South Carolina, right outside Charleston, and I could picture some of the roads as they came up throughout the story. I definitely got that good southern feel from the book especially when Liz said, "I made a pimento cheese sandwich, poured a glass of diet Cheerwine." YES, that is definitely the south! The only thing that would have made that statement any more southern would have been if she said she was having a moon pie with it! But, Liz's character was not the type to splurge on such indulgences. I loved Liz's character too, a little quirky, fun, but not too stuck on herself, a good southern character.

I really enjoyed the lightness of the book, mixed with the intensity of solving the case, and a touch of romance. Very clever mixing in the real Marilyn Monroe's story with Calista's character as well. At first, it seemed a bit odd, then a bit eccentric, but then it kind of came together in a unique way and gave the story another twist. All the details of the real Marilyn Monroe really added to the intensity of Calista's feelings of fear for her own life. I really felt bad for Calista as she couldn't help she looked exactly like Marilyn Monroe, but it was making her life miserable.

As for the mystery aspect of the book, I would say that would have to be my favorite. I liked the detective type feel to the book, trying to figure out who did it, and the mixture of suspense and life-threatening situations, without all the gory details. The bits of romance mixed in broke up some of the intensity of the case without taking away from the suspense feel of the story.

I did not read the first one in this series and I had no trouble understanding the story in any way, this one can definitely stand on its own. Very well written and I will definitely be checking out more from this author.

*For my Christian fiction reading fans - this book did contain some minor language and a few romance scenes that were a bit more detailed than in Christian fiction, but no details after the initial intimacy and definitely not along the erotica line either.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Henery Press in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...