Friday, September 20, 2013

Eventide by Shelley Shepard Gray

Eventide: The Days of Redemption Series, Book ThreeEventide: The Days of Redemption Series, Book Three by Shelley Shepard Gray
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 288 pages
Published September 3rd 2013 by Avon Inspire
ISBN 0062204440 (ISBN13: 9780062204448)
Series: The Days of Redemption #3

Elsie has known for years that her eye disease could one day leave her completely blind, but as she realizes that time may be drawing near, she’s left longing for a sense of being treated as though she is normal. However, in the Keim family that will require her to stand up for herself when Landon, the new neighbor, comes calling.

I just loved the sweet tender story of Elsie in this final book of The Days of Redemption series. I almost don’t know where to begin in reviewing it as I don’t want to give a single thing away! The story once again picks up right where Ray of Light left off. Marie is in the hospital after her terrible cough only seemed to be worsening. Peter is back home from rehab and tries to keep the Keim household running smoothly with extra family visiting. But when Landon asks to take Elsie on a buggy ride, the Keim family members don’t feel that’s a good idea. After all, they know Elsie will go blind and don’t want someone to marry her without fully understanding what they are getting into. They are just trying to keep Elsie from getting a broken heart, or so they assume.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Landon and Elsie’s reactions to her eye disease. Elsie has lived under her family’s protective hand all of her life. She was comfortable knowing someone was always going to be there for her. On the other hand, she wanted to be her own person. She just wanted them to treat her normal, without an eye disease. Her struggle to be independent, but realizing her limitations at the same time was not an easy journey and I sympathized with her.

Landon had no idea what he was getting into, but the Keim family was quick to let him know. What I really admired about Landon was that he didn’t just want to ask Elsie tons of questions regarding her eye disease, he wanted to research himself and find ways to not only understand but also to support her. The only quality I didn’t like about Landon was that it seemed he often needed perspective before being kindhearted. He would think things about his future and how it wouldn’t work out with Elsie due to her eyesight, but then when his brother Daniel actually spoke those same thoughts out loud, they seemed harsh to Landon and he would soften his heart some. I guess I should give him credit that at least he did soften his heart and had to swallow crow a few times because of it.

And the underlying story of Lovina and Aaron that unraveled throughout the series was fabulous! I loved that they faced their past head on and more importantly, together.

Eventide is a great conclusion to the series. One of the complaints many times about a romance is that the ending is a bit predictable. For me, I absolutely loved reading the journey. If you’ve read the previous two in the series, definitely add this one to your list and watch the journey unfold!

I was graciously provided a free copy of this book from Avon Inspire in partnership with Litfuse and The Christian Manifesto to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...