Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Tattered Quilt by Wanda E. Brunstetter

The Tattered Quilt  (The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club #2)The Tattered Quilt by Wanda E. Brunstetter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 320 pages
Expected publication: August 6th 2013 by Barbour Books
ISBN 1616260866 (ISBN13: 9781616260866)
Series: The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club #2

Emma has just placed another ad for a quilting class despite her husband's desire to travel to Florida for the winter. When students begin signing up, they realize they'll need to put those Florida plans on hold. As usual, Emma gets quite the mixture of students. A man who lost a bet, a man who saw a cute woman taking the class and decided to give it a try, a reporter who's trying to dig up dirt on the Amish, a young Amish girl who is torn between her strict Amish parents and wanting to explore the "Englisch" world, an older woman who is determined to be unhappy, and a woman who is looking for help in repairing her ill grandmother's quilt. They are so different, but yet all need Emma, not only for quilting tips, but for life lessons as well.

I think the characters just didn't have the same level of feistiness that they did in the first one of the series. For the most part, all the students in Emma's class got along or only did little eye rollings at each other during the quilting sessions in this story. I also felt that most of the characters were a little predictable, which I normally don't mind, but there was also no real subplot to keep the story rolling along. Predictable characters are fine, but something needs to keep the story interesting and moving throughout.

Each character had their own story, but none of them had a strong enough "dilemma" to carry the rest of the characters along. For this story and for me, that didn't come along until the final third of the book. I don't want to give that surprise away because I don't want to spoil the turn, but that made it very interesting as I didn't see that coming at all with Cheryl. I felt the other characters kind of got lost in the dust at this point and were quickly written towards a stopping point. Don't get me wrong, I loved Cheryl's story line, it just overshadowed the others.

I typically love all of Wanda's books as they are quick, easy reads. However, this one I didn't enjoy as much as the first one in the series. I would have only given it 3 stars, but I liked how it turned around at the end and I found myself really enjoying it by the last third of the book. For that reason, I do recommend this book, especially if you want a good, clean read that doesn't have an overwhelming Amish nor romance feel to it. A great mixture of characters to show that we most definitely are all different.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Barbour Publishing in partnership with Netgalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...