Saturday, August 17, 2013

Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins

Temptation (Temptation, #1)Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Paperback, 383 pages
Published June 26th 2012 by Harlequin Teen
ISBN 037321054X (ISBN13: 9780373210541)
Series: Temptation #1

After the loss of her mother, Rose's father moves the family to a new town to get a fresh start. When Rose's family is invited to dinner at their Amish neighbor's house, she not only discovers how different the Amish live, but also that the neighbors have a handsome son who is about her age. The sparks begin to fly, secret meeting places are arranged, and Rose can't seem to keep her mind off of Noah. The only problem is they live in two very different worlds. Will one of them decide to step into the other one's world, or will they remain in their own and have to keep their distance from each other?

Where oh where do I begin with this book? I am a huge Amish fiction fan, but found this one completely lacking. I know Amish communities are different in different states, counties, and orders, but I felt some of the Amish facts in this book were just wrong. The only way I can let that slide is to remember that the book was all first person, bouncing back and forth between two teenagers who see the world very differently than adults. Maybe it was more their thinking was wrong than the actual Amish facts were wrong.

The main problem for me I guess, and I should have been more aware of this before I started reading, was that it is teen/young adult. Meaning the entire story was told from a teen's perspective and their very limited view of the world. I was drawn to this book because of the "forbidden" love between an English girl, Rose, and an Amish boy, Noah. However, after the initial sparks flying, it really seemed more like two reckless teenagers. The talk, the actions, the thinking...was just very immature. I couldn't help but think the entire time I was reading, "Teenagers."

One of the main conversations that upset me was when Noah was talking about Rose's dad. They were discussing his new girlfriend and how Rose and her brothers discovered his new romance. Noah said how promiscuous the English were. Then made statements such as "Did you know that Amish couples almost never get divorced" and "We know when we say our vows, it's for life." I just wanted to scream, His wife died! Rose's dad was not cheating on his wife or being promiscuous, his wife died for heaven's sake. And same as the Amish do, after they lose a loved one, they find another spouse.

I read other reviews while I was reading this because I found myself not enjoying it. Other reviewers have felt similar so I know it's not just me. The ending, for me, left something to be desired as well. Almost seemed unfinished. I just couldn't wrap my head around how abruptly it ended. It seemed as though much of the book was bouncing pointlessly between two love sick teenagers in love and then just cut short on the ending. Now, I understand this is the first of a series, so maybe that was a cliffhanger for the next one.

Overall, I just felt this book was really missing something that could have truly been wonderful. As for my Christian reading friends, this would not be a book I recommend as the story was riddled with profanity. Also, there were a few sensual kissing moments between teenagers, but it went no further.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Harlequin in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...