Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Carolina Reckoning by Lisa Cox Carter

Carolina ReckoningCarolina Reckoning by Lisa Cox Carter
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Paperback, 320 pages
Expected publication: August 6th 2013 by Abingdon Press
ISBN 1426757972 (ISBN13: 9781426757976)

Alison knows her husband has been cheating on her and is ready to tell him she's had enough. However, he doesn't return home and she suddenly feels a sense of relief, or is that regret, or guilt? Well, that's what Mike Barefoot is about to investigate and find out. Alison realizes that in order to help clear her name, she needs to ramp up the investigation and what better way to do that than begin working full time at the Weathersby Historic Park, not far from where her husband was found. But, with that also comes life threatening experiences for Alison and those she loves.

I would really like to give this book 3.5 stars instead of just 3. I really enjoyed the mystery of the story. When a heart pounding moment would come up, I was on the edge of my seat trying to read faster and faster. Those heart pounding moments were outstanding.

I was also really pleased with the spiritual aspect of the story. I enjoyed it not being in your face, but at the same time, it was a reoccurring theme throughout the entire story. I liked the honesty from the characters in regards to the fact that they were not sure of their Christianity. Their spiritual walks were similar to mine in that one thing catapulted them into a relationship with the Lord. But, just because they had a relationship and began attending church services didn't mean they did everything correct. It also didn't mean that they all of a sudden knew everything. Watching their spiritual progress throughout the book and their insecurities of whether or not God could hear them or even if they should pray was a refreshing new viewpoint for me.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery aspect of the book and definitely found myself trying to figure out "who dunnit" I just felt like their was something missing. And what drives me nuts is I can't put my finger on it. The only two conclusions I can come to is that perhaps, for me, there were too many characters that I kept getting confused in my head as I was trying to figure it out. At one point, I thought I had it figured out, then another name popped up and I thought, oh, that's who I was thinking of. I just felt that you kept hearing their names because they worked at Weathersby, but didn't get to learn enough about them to really solidify who they were in my mind. So, the characters getting mixed up in my head was more my issue. The other conclusion I came to was that the background story line wasn't a really strong one. The main story obviously was Alison trying to figure out who killed her husband, and a minor story line was her relationship with Detective Mike. When one of those story lines weren't at the forefront, the story just kind of lethargically moved along.

Again, for me, those were just minor issues that slowed the pace of the book down a little. However, the mystery and the heart pounding moments throughout the story more than make up for that and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a good mystery! Way to go Lisa for capturing true heart pounding moments. (I even found myself ducking around the bullets at the beginning!)

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Abingdon Press Early Reader in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...