Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sea Glass Island by Sherryl Woods

Sea Glass Island (Ocean Breeze, #3)Sea Glass Island by Sherryl Woods
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 28th 2013 by Harlequin MIRA
ISBN 0778314464 (ISBN13: 9780778314462)
Series: Ocean Breeze #3

Samantha Castle is the last of the Castle sisters to find her one and only true love. In the Castle family that means that all the other members ramp up their meddling schemes. When Samantha falls prey to the meddling of her family, she finds herself being set up with Ethan, the former high school football star and war veteran, she wonders if she has what it takes to help Ethan overcome his past heartbreak. Ethan has created a wall around his heart and has turned into a jaded, cynical man in regards to love, that not even his friends can understand.

When I read Sherryl's note at the beginning of the book, I knew this was going to be the best one in the series! "Most of us have to come to accept that dreams change as we go through life." Wow, what powerful words and so true for all the Castle sisters. All three of them had their own lives and aspirations planned out, but what they all find is that when the heart is involved, those aspirations change into new and unexpected dreams.

I love the meddling of the family members into Samantha's life, though I don't know if I'd enjoy it in my own personal life. The meddling family members added humor and a sense of light heartedness to the story. In the midst of meddling and trying her best to get Ethan and Samantha in the same place at the same time, Grandmother Cora Jane even threatens Emily with "do I need to call and tell her I've slipped on the kitchen floor and think I might have broken my hip?" Made me laugh out loud! For me, this helped promote the feeling of family, as Sherryl does so well in all of her books.

The other aspect I liked was the sibling "rivalry." The sisters had struggles with their relationships to each other and didn't understand why there seemed to be a sense of competitiveness between them. When they finally talked about it and really tried to work on their differences, they found that all the bitterness and competitiveness was really just different perspectives and different personalities. I loved that this was an issue. So many times in stories all you hear is how siblings stuck together and just adored each other at all times, it was refreshing to have siblings that struggled in their relationship at times. I think Cora Jane said it best when she said, "every sibling grows up in a different family."

Of course, I really liked the romance of it all too. Ethan and Samantha both seemed so set against even considering a romance that it left me wondering if in fact they would ever resolve their issues. Then, when the newspaper printed scandalous info, well, I just knew that was it. I couldn't put the book down, I had to see how they worked it out. Their story line mixed with Emily's and Gabi's really kept this book moving along the entire time.

There is just something about Sherryl's books that I simply love. She is able to create such a sense of community and family that you can't help but to feel as though you are apart of it all. While I'm sad to say goodbye to the Castle family, I am eagerly awaiting meeting the next family Sherryl creates.

For my Christian Fiction fans, this book does contain minor language and premarital relations, but no descriptions or erotic information to detail those relations, it's just insinuated.

I got this book from my local library in order to finish the Ocean Breeze series.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Amanda Caldwell said...

Thanks for the review, Jodie!

Is this one of the community series, where characters from previous books pop up?

MoJo said...

Amanda, yes, it is a 3 book series, but as with most of her books, you don't have to read the earlier ones to enjoy it. And especially with this one, because she really does a good job of highlighting what happened to the other two sisters in the previous books. Hope you enjoy them!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...