Monday, July 1, 2013

Ray of Light by Shelley Shepard Gray

Ray of Light (The Days of Redemption #2)Ray of Light by Shelley Shepard Gray
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 288 pages
Published May 14th 2013 by HarperCollins Publishers
ISBN 0062204424 (ISBN13: 9780062204424)
Series: The Days of Redemption #2

When the secrets from Roman's family come to light, Roman heads to Florida in order to get a vacation from all of it. While in Florida he notices Amanda in the neighboring condominium, something about her intrigues him and decides to get to know her better. But when he doesn't seem very forthright with his family background, Amanda seems uninterested. After all, Amanda's been through enough with being a widow and a single mother at such a young age. Realizing he may have come across as awkward, Roman decides to put forth new effort and a new determination to get to know Amanda and her beautiful little girl, Regina. But just as they get to know each other and begin feeling relaxed around one another, Roman has to head back to Ohio. Although once he returns to Ohio, he finds new responsibilities, and begins to wonder if he will ever be able to pursue a relationship with Amanda.

Picking up right where Daybreak left off, Ray of Light continues the reveal of even more family secrets, more troubles, and more romance. I really enjoyed the continuing story of Viola and Edward. I felt that their story seemed almost a little too rushed though. Once Viola arrived in Nicaragua I thought Edward’s reaction to her “incident” a bit out of character for him. He seemed almost grumpy by it. I tried to look at it as though maybe he was just disappointed, but just felt that wasn’t quite his normal reaction. I mean he took in a stray dog and cared for it back to health, why would he not have a little more sympathy for Viola?

I really wish the story had more information about Amanda and Roman. Though I would say they were definitely the main characters, I just wish there was more. I loved Amanda’s reactions and honesty with her mother-n-law. I found myself getting irritated with the mother-n-law, but then reminded myself that she was also dealing with her own grief in her own way. I was very happy to see Amanda respectfully stick up for herself.

And I can’t forget sweet little Regina. I think she really added a great dynamic to the story. God puts people in our lives for a reason and I could clearly see how Amanda, Roman, and Regina were meant to meet each other. When Amanda and Regina visited Ohio, I loved the interaction she had with Roman’s grandparents. I could tell she touched a spot in their hearts that had been empty for quite some time. That was written beautifully and I could have stayed in that moment for awhile longer.

I’m looking forward to the next one in the series as I am very interested in seeing what happens with the family secrets and the happiness that awaits Elsie. Oh, and of course, it will be nice to check back in with everybody else in the family as well.

I was graciously provided a free copy of this book from Avon Inspire in partnership with The Christian Manifesto to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...