Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Gone South by Meg Moseley

Gone SouthGone South by Meg Moseley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

ebook, 352 pages
Published May 7th 2013 by Multnomah Books
ISBN 0307730816 (ISBN13: 9780307730817)

After helping her mother move, Tish decides to revisit her ancestors' home that she had once visited with her dad. When she sees the house is for sale, she knows she needs to uproot herself from Michigan and head to Alabama to buy the house. Once she arrives, she realizes the local community is not friendly to her, matter of fact, they're rude. Determined to find out why the locals don’t like her, she begins reading more of the history of her ancestors. When Tish decides to take in another local outcast, Mel, they are in for an uphill battle to restore the locals' trust in the two of them.

I was so excited to read this book after reading When Sparrows Fall also by Meg Moseley. I loved the story line in that it was so different than anything I've read before. I have heard of family feuds such as the Hatfields and McCoys and was thankful it didn't go that far. I've also heard of teens being disowned by their families for poor decision making. But, reading it in the context Meg put it, well it was just interesting.

Meg did a great job of creating a story-line where you just couldn't help but rooting for Mel. She was the youngest in her family, the "oops" child, and just never lived up to the standards her brother set. When she began "stealing" from her jobs and her family, they kicked her out. While Mel was out on her own, she had the same problems, accused of stealing from employers and ultimately fired. Feeling helpless, she decided to return back home. However, that reception was anything but welcoming and she once again found herself wondering the streets.

As Tish gets to know Mel, she doesn't really trust her, but tries to give her a chance. And I realize that the main focus of the story is Tish, but personally, I loved the story line with Mel much more. I really enjoyed watching her self esteem grow as the story unfolded. What I did love about Tish was her willingness to take her “under her wing” and help Mel make something of herself.

My only fault for the book was that at times I felt like it was dragging a little bit. However, my overwhelming curiosity and hopefulness in seeing the "outcasts" gain the locals' trust and favor kept me reading.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Multnomah Books in partnership with The Christian Manifesto to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...