Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hidden in the Heart

Hidden in the Heart - A NovelHidden in the Heart - A Novel by Catherine West
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Paperback
Published September 15th 2012 by OakTara
ISBN 1602903298 (ISBN13: 9781602903296)

Claire has had a rough year. She lost her mother, her unborn child, she has pushed her husband away, and turned to alcohol to ease her pain. Now, trying to pull herself back togehter, she is determined to find her birth mother. What she doesn't realize is that when she does, she may get more than she bargained for, something that could completely tear apart her family.

I chose to read this book as I heard such great things about Catherine's first book Yesterday's Tomorrow. I began reading the book just knowing that I would love it. Then, as I began to read, I was a little let down.

You see, for me, the story line was a little too close to home and Claire's reactions to her life events just left me shaking my head. I was only 19 when my mother passed, my family was torn apart, and I lost an unborn child just 3 months after I lost my mom. I also, never knew my father growing up. It was always just me and mom. So, reading Claire's reactions and knowing she had a very well to-do life, a husband who adored her and would have given her the world, just seemed a little self-centered to me. Especially when the reason for her looking for her birth parents was because she wanted to see if it was a genetic trait. What? I was told when I had my miscarriage that a lot of first time pregnancies end in a miscarriage. It took me nearly three quarters of the book before I was able to read it without being completely irritated with Claire.

However, removing my personal emotions from the closeness of the story, Catherine obviously wrote a great story or I would not have been so upset by Claire. Claire's struggles, emotions, and the need to find answers seemed very real. I would say it's a good read for anyone looking for a modern day read. It was certainly a roller coaster of emotions from beginning to end!

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Litfuse to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own. 

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...