Saturday, April 27, 2013

Daybreak

Daybreak (The Days of Redemption #1)Daybreak by Shelley Shepard Gray
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 256 pages
Published February 12th 2013 by Avon Inspire
ISBN 0062204408 (ISBN13: 9780062204400)
Series: The Days of Redemption #1

Viola works in a retirement home for Mennonites and has formed a rather interesting, sometimes comical, bond with one of the residents, Atle. They form a bond as Atle reads Viola letters from his missionary son, Edward. But, when Edward returns, Viola can’t control herself and tells him exactly what she thinks of him leaving his father in a home. As Viola’s world begins turning upside down, she realizes things aren’t always as they seem and that perhaps she was a bit harsh with Edward.

In this Amish/Mennonite story there were so many new ideas that I’ve never read in any other Amish book. I think that’s what made it so interesting. There was the retirement home, missionary work, and keeping past secrets all portrayed in ways that make this Amish story stand apart from all other Amish stories. I can’t even really say what my favorite part was because there were so many!

I loved Viola’s determination to help her twin sister, despite the fact it was actually hindering her own future. I loved Edward’s return and the emotions he went through as he became familiar again with his house, his father, and his hometown. I don’t think I ever thought of the aspect of what a missionary does when their parents are elderly and need someone to look after them, but yet they feel so strongly called to the mission field. What a tough decision for anyone to have to make.

“Life wasn’t meant to be perfect. Instead, it was a series of glorious imperfections, made better by the promise of each new day.” I just loved that line and how true it is. If we only stop and take a minute to realize it. I cannot wait for the next one in the series to see what happens to the Keim family, are there more secrets to be revealed?

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Edelweiss in partnership with The Christian Manifesto to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...