Monday, February 11, 2013

A Plain Scandal

A Plain Scandal (Appleseed Creek Mystery Series #2)A Plain Scandal by Amanda Flower
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Paperback, 336 pages
Published 2013 by B&H Books
ISBN 1433676982 (ISBN13: 9781433676987)
Series: Appleseed Creek Mystery Series #2

Chloe is recovering from the summer incidents that were found in book one of the Appleseed Creek Mystery series when a new mystery arises. Several of the Amish girls in the community have had a potato sack thrown over their heads and their hair cut off. Then, Chloe finds a murder victim in the new pavilion being built. To top it off, Grandfather Zook, a beloved member of the Troyer family, is also targeted when his beard is cut off. To add more strangeness to the story, the owner of Chloe's house she rents, begins to make random appearances in her house to do repairs. As the story heats up, Chloe finds herself in an extremely tense situation.

This story picks up right where the first one in the series left off. Much like the first one in the series, this one is also written in first person. I didn't mind the first person because it was well written with full sentences, not short and choppy like some. My main reason for giving this one only three stars was because I felt like there was a huge lull in the middle of the story. It seemed everything happened at the beginning, then nothing for a long time, then it ramped up the last several chapters and finished out strong. I think the mystery part of this one was a bit stronger than the first one, it just moved a little slower and took away from the overall story.

What I am liking about this author, is the slight romance between Chloe and Timothy moves at just the right pace. It's not too fast like most stories, where everyone lives "happily ever after" at the end of the story. There is still room to imagine or be in anticipation of the next one in the series. I like that a lot!

If you've read the first one in the series, then I would recommend this one as a way to "check in" on all the characters. If you didn't read the first one, it's ok, it can be a stand alone as well.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from B&H Publishing Group in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Faith said...

This book sounds interesting...I love mysteries. I like what you said about looking forward to the next book in a series, and letting the character's relationships build slowly.

Don't you love books that have series? A good book pulls you in and never lets you go, does it?
Right now, I am walking around in the world of Seeds of Evidence, by Linda J. White. That book was so good.

I found your blog on Goodreads. I too am a book reviewer blogger, and I love meeting fellow bloggers!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...