Saturday, January 5, 2013

Short-Straw Bride

Short-Straw BrideShort-Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 365 pages
Published June 1st 2012 by Bethany House
ISBN 0764209655 (ISBN13: 9780764209659)
Setting: Palestine, Texas, 1882 (United States)

Meredith is quite a determined child. When the boys at school throw her lunch box into the Archer's property, she refuses to go home without it. Making the decision to trespass onto property that has been fenced off from the world changes her life forever. Now, over 10 years later, Meredith is grown but still can't seem to forget the Archer clan, especially, Travis, the one that rescued her.

From the very beginning, I enjoyed this book. I normally don't like time jumps in books, but for this one, it worked perfectly. I loved Meredith's determination to do what was right, despite it being opposite of what her family wanted. I also was quite intrigued by Travis' determination to protect his family and their land. When the other Archer brothers came into the picture, I also enjoyed their relationship and their boyish, brotherly behavior.

Karen did a fabulous job developing the characters and giving each one a very distinctive personality. I also loved the little bit of history thrown in there with how they got their names. Very nice touch. This story is a nice combination of romance and history. Looking forward to reading more from Karen.

Believe it or not, this one was a Kindle Freebie and not a review! Ha! I do read for fun!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...