Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Measure of Katie Calloway

The Measure of Katie Calloway: A NovelThe Measure of Katie Calloway: A Novel by Serena B. Miller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Paperback, 316 pages
Published October 1st 2011 by Fleming H. Revell Company
ISBN 0800719980 (ISBN13: 9780800719982)
Series: Michigan Northwoods

Katie Calloway has had enough of being abused by her husband. She decides to take her little brother and head north, in a direction her abusive husband won't find her. When she arrives in Michigan, she runs across the boss of a lumber camp who is looking for a camp cook. After passing his cooking "test" with flying colors, she and her brother are hired for the 7 month winter job in the logging camp. Camp turns out to be anything but easy, and it seems like one thing after another occurs to cause more frustration. Just when things finally settle down, her deranged husband shows up.

I am so frustrated with myself for putting off reading this book. I love history and I love romance, but for some reason, when they are combined, it makes me a little nervous. Every time I've read one though I have loved it! This one was no exception! I really enjoyed Katie's tenacity to leave her husband, which is unheard of in the 1800's. I also admired her for not being the typical "weak" woman and bursting out in tears any time something didn't go her way or something turned a little difficult. She stood tall, strong, brave, and earned the respect of all the loggers in the camp, even the cantankerous older cook, Jigger.

I think the other aspect that I really enjoyed with this book was that it wasn't an "in your face" romance. It simply was a woman needing a job, a man filled that need, and the man demanded that she be treated like a lady, with respect. I loved the way Robert was genuinely concerned about her having respect from the other loggers and how he would always manage to do extra little things for her without being obvious. It was a slow-building, respect filled romance.

The history and the life style description of the loggers was another fascinating part to me. My husband enjoys watching the reality tv show with loggers, so to picture this happening in the 1800's was quite different than current logging practices. Serena did such a great job painting the picture of how life would be in that day and time, that at one point I thought, how are they doing that in the rain? What's funny is, it wasn't raining in the story, it was raining outside my door! I was so caught up in the story I began translating my weather to the story!

I could probably go on and on and continue to point out all the aspects I loved of this story, but I don't want to give away the entire story. It's a mix of history, romance, humor, and just an overall great read! I highly recommend this book!

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Revell Books in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...