Monday, December 31, 2012

The Heart's Journey

The Heart's Journey (Stitches in Time #2)The Heart's Journey by Barbara Cameron
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 283 pages
Published October 1st 2012 by Abingdon Press
ISBN 1426714335 (ISBN13: 9781426714337)
Series: Stitches in Time #2

Back at the shop, Stitches in Time, Naomi finds herself engaged to a man whom she is not so sure she wants to marry. Her fiance is just so overbearing and controlling, that he is really making her unhappy. When Naomi's grandmother decides to take a trip to Florida, Naomi goes with her to think about her engagement. On the way, she finds herself growing quite fond of their driver. The only problem is, he's Englisch. Naomi can't bear the thought of being shunned and Nick is sure he doesn't want to become Amish. Will God change Naomi's fiance or send her another Amish man?

I really enjoy Barbara's writing. She just has a way of getting you caught up in the story, the romance, and the "will they or won't they." Again, I just love the characters popping in from her other stories. It's great to catch up with them and "see" how they are doing. However, even if you haven't read any other stories, this is still a great stand alone novel.

I think my favorite part of this book is the lessons taught about going forward. "Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way." I changed writing to "life" and isn't that so true? We don't know what lies ahead of us, we aren't promised tomorrow, but we are promised today, the day with the headlights, so why not just get that far? If we know God is in control of our lives, we don't need to worry about what's beyond the headlights. Such a great heart lesson in that quote!

The other lesson that really touched my heart was the one Naomi was trying to learn. Her fiance was rough with her and somehow always managed to turn his anger back to Naomi's fault. You know, after a while, that wears down your self esteem and you begin to wonder, is it true, am I not worth more? "I want you to think about if someone isn't valuing you as a person, maybe you've let them think you don't value yourself." Wow, that says it all. If we undervalue ourselves, we also allow others to undervalue us.

I'm looking forward to getting started on the next book in this series and finding out more about Anna, and of course catching up with all of Barbara's characters.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Abingdon Press in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...