Friday, December 28, 2012

Song of the Brokenhearted

Song of the BrokenheartedSong of the Brokenhearted by Sheila Walsh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Paperback, 313 pages
Published August 21st 2012 by Thomas Nelson Publishers
ISBN 1595546871 (ISBN13: 9781595546876)

Ava has managed to leave her unstable childhood behind her, completely. She has taken great strides to become nothing like them and improve every aspect of her life. Ava is helping her daughter plan her wedding, her son is a star on his high school football team, and her husband works night and day to provide everything for his family. Ava also helps her church's "Broken Hearts" club which provides comfort, shelter, food, or whatever is needed to families dealing with family tragedies. Things couldn't get any better...and then...the bottom falls out. Ava's world is slowly unraveling and she is forced to look at her past once again. "God is taking us on a wild ride. Hang on."

Oh. My. Goodness. Why did I not read this book sooner? It seems as though the last several books I have read have been amazing and I'm so mad at myself for putting them off! I just LOVED this book! Not only was the story great, but the underlying message of God's love was just breathtaking. So many times I hear people say that they did something wrong, sinned, and they are just waiting for something bad to happen to them. God is NOT waiting for us to mess up so he can lay the hammer on us. Ava remembers sitting in her bed as a child, "afraid to get out because she would begin sinning, and who knew what harm would come to her or her family because of it." Oh goodness, who teaches their children this? My heart breaks for all those who live in fear of God instead of in awe of His never-ending love for us.

The story itself kept changing and taking turns I wasn't expecting. Every time I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen next, something entirely different happened. As I kept reading, I got to the point I didn't want to stop. I even read in the car, which I don't ever do because it makes me sick. I couldn't help myself though, I just had to know what Ava was going to do, how she was going to respond, and if this would be the final straw that would cause her to turn her back on her family and/or God.

A great story of God's love, the importance of family, and knowing God has a plan far better than you could ever think of yourself. I laughed on one page then turned it to find myself in tears and turned another page to find myself grinning from ear to ear. Oh yes, my husband thought I was insane, but it kept him awake while he was driving! ☺ And if you haven't guessed it yet, I HIGHLY recommend reading this book for yourself. (And let me know if you want to shake Corrine yourself or if it was just me.)


I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Thomas Nelson in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...