Monday, December 24, 2012

A Promise for Miriam

A Promise for MiriamA Promise for Miriam by Vannetta Chapman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 342 pages
Published July 1st 2012 by Harvest House Publishers
ISBN 0736946128 (ISBN13: 9780736946124)
Series: The Pebble Creek Amish #1

Gabe Yoder and his daughter Grace move to Pebble Creek in order to make a new start after the death of his wife and Grace's mother, Hope. However, things aren't transitioning as smoothly as he would have hoped. The farm he purchased in need of much more repair than he originally thought and his stubborn streak refuses to allow him to ask for help from the others in the community. The other problem arises when Miriam King, the school marm, suggests a different method to help Grace begin speaking again. She hasn't spoken since her mother's passing. One long, cold, tragic, wintry night changes everything.

I must say, when I began this book, I thought it was going to be another pure romance and no other significant story lines involved. I was a little concerned. Then, along comes Grace. She stole the story and my heart! I just loved that Vannetta gave Grace a view point and it wasn't written entirely around the adults' views. Grace was so sweet and like any other elementary age child, except she didn't talk. When the reason for her not talking was fully explained, well, my heart just broke. Poor thing, she just didn't understand.

I really enjoyed the realness throughout the book as well. The rawness of Gabe's hurt, the determination of Miriam to help all her students in whatever way she could, and the complete sense of community throughout the story. I also really liked Miriam's parents and how they interacted with Gabe and Grace throughout the story. More importantly, the open relationship that Miriam had with her parents. I hope to be as open and honest with my children as they grow into young adults.

I was drawn into the story with Grace's unwillingness to talk. However, as the story drew on, I became more interested in the "Amish Abbey" being built, and more enamored with the choice Miriam needed to make for her future. If you enjoy a good Amish romance, then this is definitely the book for you!

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Harvest House Publishers in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...