Monday, December 17, 2012

A Different Kind of Christmas

A Different Kind of Christmas: Devotions for the SeasonA Different Kind of Christmas: Devotions for the Season by Mike Slaughter

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Paperback, 78 pages
Published September 1st 2012 by Abingdon Press
ISBN 1426753608 (ISBN13: 9781426753602)

 It seems as though every year we try to keep the focus on the true meaning of Christmas, but somehow the tv, news, web, retailers, and restaurants vie for our attention and we end up losing focus. In this daily devotional book, there are many great scriptures, prayers, and ideas for you to keep your focus on Christ this Christmas season.

With all the hustle and bustle of the season, this devotion is set up in short daily segments that are easy to fit into your schedule. Each one begins with a Bible verse, then goes into the “lesson,” and concludes with a short prayer. And from the very beginning, the devotions capture your attention. "In the midst of the season's noise, it's hard to find the heart of God. Yet, if you listen closely you can hear the words of Jesus: All I want for Christmas, for my birthday, is for you to remember the poor, reach the lost, and set the oppressed free."

As I read through this devotional with my online book club, I realized it really did help me keep my focus. Normally I am so scattered with schedules, projects, cards, gifts, and last minute details that I tend to get quickly aggravated when things don’t go as planned during the month of December. However, this year, while things still didn’t go as planned, I was able to not become overly exasperated with the unplanned events. And while some of the unplanned events were really upsetting, a death in the family, I was still able to remain calm and keep my perspective on what was really important. Christ and Family.

I highly recommend this book to EVERYONE to read during the month of December!

I was graciously provided a free copy of this book from Abingdon Press in partnership with The Christian Manifesto to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...