Sunday, September 2, 2012

Dying to Read

Dying to Read (Cate Kinkaid Files, #1)Dying to Read by Lorena McCourtney

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Paperback, 320 pages
Published August 1st 2012 by Fleming H. Revell Company
ISBN 0800721586 (ISBN13: 9780800721589)
Series: Cate Kinkaid Files

Unemployed Cate decides to work for her PI uncle, despite the fact she has no experience in detective work, after all she's just helping out a little until she can get a "real" job. But, when her first assignment sends her to a book club meeting and a dead body, Cate quickly realizes she may just be in over her head.

The title of the book and the lines "All she wanted was a paycheck. What she got was murder" immediately drew me in. Even as I read the first few chapters, I was pulled in. However, somewhere in the middle, the suspense fizzled out, the mysteriousness of the murder seemed less mysterious, and it was a slow read for a while. Towards the end, at the drop of cat food, the story finished out strong.

This was my first time at reading one of Lorena McCourtney's books. I must say, I loved that it was a clean mystery read. However, it just seemed to be lacking something in the middle. I'm not quite sure what it was. Maybe there wasn't enough dialogue, maybe it needed a bit more mystery, I'm not quite sure. I know that at one point in the middle, I was really tired of hearing all the different lies between Willow and Coop. To me, it just got really annoying after a while and it would have been nice to see Cate research it more and find out the truth. Maybe with a little help from her uncle or her friend Mitch?

While this was not one of my favorite reads, it was definitely an interesting read with some quirky characters and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good, clean mystery.

I was graciously provided a free copy of this book from Baker Publishing Group to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...