Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Struggle

The StruggleThe Struggle by Wanda E. Brunstetter

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 384 pages
Published July 1st 2012 by Barbour Publishing, Inc.
ISBN 1616260890 (ISBN13: 9781616260897)
Series: Kentucky Brothers #3

Timothy has had it with his wife Hannah leaning so heavily on her mother. It seems as though Timothy never has his wife’s attention, she is always at her mother’s side or with their daughter Mindy. In order to restore his marriage, Timothy moves his family to Kentucky. However, once in Kentucky, Hannah seems to only be able to complain about everything. After several tough months, Hannah realizes that Kentucky may not be so bad after all. Then, the unthinkable happens and Timothy and Hannah’s marriage is shaken to the core. Will they ever be able to recover?

Wow, I have to say that I was so infuriated with Hannah. I don’t remember ever reading about an Amish wife who was so unhappy, complained so much, and just plain made everyone else miserable. I was shocked by her behavior. I would have loved to hear more of Timothy’s thoughts during his wife’s complaining time.

I keep trying to figure out why some don’t care for Wanda’s books. As I was reading this one, the only thing I could come up with is that the story line does seem kind of simple, but for me, that’s what I love about her books. When you grab a Wanda Brunstetter book, you know you are getting a quick moving story, numerous characters, but only close-up with a few of them, and a book filled with a true Amish touch. My only complaint for this particular story is I would have loved to hear more from Timothy about his thoughts on his wife’s behavior.

The characters from the previous books in the series were very much part of this one as well. Another reason I love Wanda’s books, especially the family series ones. You don’t ever really say goodbye to her characters until the last one in the series. And the updates on the characters are so much more than just a one paragraph update, they are splattered throughout the book. I LOVE that!

I would have to say, if you’re a fan of Wanda’s or a fan of Amish fiction in general, then this is one book you will want to read! Even if you haven’t read any others in the series, this story can stand on its own.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from Barbour Publishing in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.


1 comment:

Diane Estrella said...

Great, honest review. I've read one of her books and will look into this one too. Thanks. :O)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...