Thursday, May 3, 2012

Leaving Lancaster

Leaving Lancaster: A NovelLeaving Lancaster: A Novel by Kate Lloyd

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Paperback, 368 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by David C. Cook
ISBN 0781405084

Esther left her family and community behind when she headed west with Samuel Fisher nearly 40 years ago. Now, with her mother ailing, she finally reveals to her daughter Holly, that they have family back in Lancaster, PA. After arriving in PA, Esther feels everyone is mad at her or out to get her because of what happened to Samuel. But, Holly is loving finally have a large family and the love that comes from feeling part of a family. When Esther's past starts spilling out, will Holly be able to forgive her mother?

I first started reading this book and thought, Oh great, it's written in first person. And if you've read any of my previous reviews, I have a really hard time with first person writing. However, as the book went on, I realized it was actually switching points of view. Which was kind of interesting. As the book continued on, I also realized I wasn't even bothered by the first person point of view. To me, that shows a sign of a great author. I've read several authors who have written in first person and their writing comes across as too simplistic, but not Kate's. I've never read a book with switching points of view before, well done Kate!

I also enjoyed the talk of the area. Having grown up about an hour away from Lancaster, PA, I know a common way to say "you all" is "yous." This is one of the first books that I have read set in that area that used the word "yous" more than once. Again, congratulations to Kate for capturing the "feel" of the language of the people in that area.

I can't say that I loved this book, but I also won't say that I disliked this book. For me, I was a little upset with Holly and her constant bashing of her mother. You see, I also grew up never knowing my father, my mother never received any extra financial support other than working, and she remained a single-working mother until the day she passed. With that being said, for me, for Holly to be so harsh in her words to her mother really didn't sit well with me. I just couldn't imagine ever thinking about my single mom the way she thought of hers. But, not every reader will feel that way because we all come from different backgrounds. So, if you're an Amish fiction fan and enjoy a good Amish story, then I would definitely recommend this book.

I was graciously provided a free digital copy of this book from David C. Cook in partnership with NetGalley to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Faye said...

Great review :) I agree it was good, but the constantness of Holly's bitterness toward her mother really put me off. Thanks for your honesty :)

Cathy said...

I love the look of your new blog! So pretty and spring-like. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...