Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Keeper

The Keeper: A Novel (Stoney Ridge Seasons)The Keeper: A Novel by Suzanne Woods Fisher

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Paperback, 316 pages
Published January 1st 2012 by Revell
ISBN 0800719875 (ISBN13: 9780800719876)
Series: Stoney Ridge Seasons #1

In the midst of a "tough" time, the one thing Julia could look forward to with great anticipation was her wedding. That is until the Bee Man, Roamin' Roman, comes to town and puts ideas in her fiancee's head. Paul, the man Julia is determined to marry, postpones the wedding for the second time after having a conversation with the Bee Man. With everything going on in Julia's life, a second postponement of her wedding was definitely not what she needed. But, when help comes to her family's farm and convinces the Bee Man to stay for a while, Julia begins to realize she needs to listen for God's will, not her own. "We don't put a question mark where God has put a period."

I must say, that I had a little bit of a hard time getting into this story, though I think that was just me. However, once I got to a certain point, I couldn't put the book down. I had feelings ranging from laughter, to sadness, to admiration. At first, I felt like there was too many characters to keep up with and I kept getting confused. But, again, when it got to a certain point, I was awful glad to have all the insights from all the characters.

I loved Julia's determination and her forwardness. I admire someone that can tell it like it is. And Menno, oh, he touched my heart with his gentle ways. When Stern Fern came into the picture, I knew she was good for the family, and I loved how no one really "liked" her, but she persevered and continued loving them in her own way. It kind of reminded me of many of us stay at home moms. We clean, wash, cook, and play doctor to the household while everyone gets aggravated with us for "nagging." But, we continue doing it because in the long run, we know it's best for our family. I really admired Fern's stick-to-it-ness!

Well, I could go on and on, there's so much more to tell. But, you'll just have to check this book out for yourself. By doing so, you'll be able to find out how the Bee Man and the Lapp's youngest daughter work together to try and get Julia and Paul back together.You'll also learn about the father, Amos Lapp, who has a weak heart and failing health, but refuses to have a heart transplant until he realizes it was meant to be.

I was lucky enough to win an ARC copy of this through a contest and I was graciously provided a free copy of this book from Litfuse to review it. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

View all my reviews





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your review, and for being part of this blog tour! I've been wanting to get The Keeper since I first heard about it, and your review just reinforces my desire to read it =)

Gena Robertson
robertsongena@hotmail.com

Lane Hill House said...

"We don't put a question mark where God has put a period."

I like that! Enjoyed your review and hope to "see" you at the party on the 17th! Fern came to lift the burden of family care from the children. Sometimes it is hard to move over and let someone do that.
lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

Suzanne said...

Hi Jodie! Thanks so much for your review of "The Keeper" and for bringing out Stern Fern's better qualities. (Fern! So exasperating.)
Glad you were part of the blog tour.
Warmly, Suzanne

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...